7/29/11

Feature Friday- Runners part 2

Here we are with another edition of Feature Friday which highlights the exciting experiences of runners from all different backgrounds and experience levels.

This week we have two more terrific women who found running at a tough time in their lives and have been pounding the pavement ever since. So without futher adieu.......


Brooke- A Single Gal on the Move

Brooke is a 32 years old and live in Richmond, Va. She is recently separated, which lead to her journey of self discovery, and the commitment to training for a marathon which she will cross off her bucket list this November! She works full time at a fine jewelry store that's been a part of Richmond for over 100 years. When she's not running you'll find her to relaxing with yoga or a glass of wine with friends. Her favorite quote is "The pain of discipline is far less than the pain of regret"



When did you start running and what inspired you to start?


I started running May 2011. I have always been active and gone to the gym but running had never been my thing. I would attempt to run and would usually stop/give up 5 minutes in. I signed up for my first 10k and decided to just go for it...showed up for the race with no training and just told my self have fun, and walk if you need to. I was AMAZED by the adrenaline that pumped through me. The excitement that came from the cheering fans was overwhelming. From that moment I was hooked...I decided its time to train for a marathon.


What keeps you motivated to run?


November 12, 2011---the day I will run my first marathon. Its also very motivating to see such improvement from the first day of training.
 
Running Pet Peeve


Running with an IPOD- Which I cant believe I am even saying??!! When I first started running I was completely attached to my IPOD. I couldnt even imagine running with out it, I NEEDED that intense beat and loud music to keep me going. When I started training for the marathon they made the rule, No IPODS. I was devasted...how would I ever run without it?! They wanted us to focus on the roads we were running and most importantly talk to the people in our group so that we could have a group of running friends. I gave up my IPOD and it was the best decision ever made. I have met an amazing group of lifelong friends. But most importantly it allows be to focus on my breath, the beautiful surroundings I am running through, and natures noices. I know my IPOD would drive me crazy now!



Running Inspiration?


All the amazing men and women in my marathon training group, and every runner out there. They have all inspired me through their strength and commitment.


One tip for New Runner

Stick with it...you will be truly amazed with your accomplishments and what you can achieve.




Carolina- A Running Pea

Carolina is a sports marketing professional and a humanities graduate student; She lives with her adorable miniature schnauzer Rocco in sunny Orlando, FL. She is a fitness and vegetarian food connoisseur who loves running, cooking, baking and experimenting in the kitchen. Carolina is a marathoner-in-training, art enthusiast & lover of cilantro. Along with her best friend, she writes about vegetarian fare and fitness adventures at Peas in a Blog. Follow her on Twitter, Facebook or contact Carolina by email at thecooks@peasinablog.com





When did you start running and what inspired you to start?

I started running a year & a half ago, compliments of heartbreak. My ex boyfriend & I had just split up when I met a girl who was training for a marathon, she suggested I take up running as a way to release some of my emotions. I had never ran before but it seemed like a healthy outlet so I decided to find a race, sign up & go. But I didn’t start off with a 5K, instead, I signed up for a half marathon – go big or go home! After I crossed the finish line I got a glimpse of the infamous “runners high” & have been running ever since.

What keeps you motivated to run?


I feel very fortunate to be active & be able to run. I’m lucky enough to live in Florida where we can
run year round (though Summers are not as enjoyable aka way too hot!). When you’re constantly
surrounded with sunshine & palm trees how could you not want to be outside? I love enjoying the
beautiful days by going on a run.

What is one obstacle you overcame to become a stronger runner?


When I first started running I couldn’t run a mile without feeling out of breath; now I’m training for my
first marathon. By sticking to my training & getting out there I’ve been able to build endurance, cardio
vascular health, stronger legs and a deeper love of the sport. I feel like a much stronger runner today.



Are you training for any races at the moment?


I’m currently training for the NYC Marathon (I got selected, so lucky!), which is on November 6. I’m
currently just a few weeks into training & have a long journey ahead. It’s very exciting & scary at the
same time.

What's your favorite way to refuel post-run?


Confession: I’m slightly obsessed with smoothies. After a long run I love having a big, fruity protein
smoothie. My current favorite combination is water, ice, peaches, pineapple, vanilla whey protein
powder & a drizzle of agave – tastes like summer!

What's one tip you would give to a new runner or someone coming back after a break?


When in doubt, run. When you think you can’t keep going push yourself, you can & will finish. Pride is
forever. These are my mantras & I encourage all runners to find their own (or borrow mine) & hold on to them as they run.



Thank you so much to these awesome ladies for giving us an inside look at their amazing journey!!


If you are a runner (novice to elite) and want to me featured in an upcoming edition of this series send me an email at health.happiness.skinnyjeansATgmail.com

Happy Friday!


So tell me, have you ever started something new like running to get through a challenging time in your life?

7 comments:

  1. gret friday edition~! love this segment!

    can i be on it??

    have a great long weekend.

    aneta

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for featuring me Sam, love runner profiles & reading on why they love the sport, it's inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for making me a part of your feature! I love reading about other members of our running family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So inspiring! :) Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your blog...and love that you featured Brooke!! I run with her 4 days out of the week and you definitely chose an amazing woman to highlight!! She continues to inspire me with her natural ability and positive outlook on running, and life in general. So proud to see my girly up here on the 'net and I feel privileged to know her!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, good post. I have been thinking about this issue, so thanks for sharing. I will definitely be coming back to your blog.

      Delete
  6. Please let me know if you're looking for a article writer for your weblog. You have some really great posts and I think I would be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I'd really
    like to write some content for your blog in exchange for a link back to mine.
    Please shoot me an e-mail if interested. Many thanks!

    My page - Addiction Clinics

    ReplyDelete