7/22/11

Feature Friday: Runners

Welcome to my new series Feature Friday which will showcase some really awesome people who add to their sheer awesomeness by also being runners!

Each week I will feature a few runners with all different experiences and exciting stories to tell.

Are you ready to meet some totally kick-ass people? Of course you are!


Katy: The Singing Runner

Katy  is a 21-year-old college senior who blogs about healthy living, running, food, and social media at The Singing Runner. Katy has ran two half-marathons and is currently training for her first marathon. In her spare time, she loves singing, acting, traveling, cooking, and writing.



When did you start running and what inspired you to start?

I have participated in numerous sports since elementary school and even did cross-country for a year in high school (but hated it!). It was not until last June that I laced up my shoes and started running again... and the rest is history!


What is one obstacle you overcame to become a stronger runner?

This past spring, I developed a left shin splint, which kept me out of running for six weeks. I had intensive physical therapy two times a week for those six weeks. Not only was I in physical pain with the injury, but it also took an emotional toll on me.


What top 3 things do you love most about running?

Crazy strong and sexy legs ;), being considered by others as “one of those crazy running people”, and pushing myself further than I ever thought imaginable.


Are you training for any races at the moment?


I am currently training for my first marathon, which will be the Chicago Marathon on October 9th!


What's your favorite running memory?


Definitely when I crossed the finish line of my first half-marathon: the 2011 Disney Half-Marathon in January. I had battled through injuries and setbacks during my training, but I powered throughand broke my expectations running it in 1:56:20!



What's one tip you would give to a new runner or someone coming back after a break?

Talk to others about your running progress! Most of my friends are not runners but I talk to them all the time about my latest run and marathon training progress. It may not be their “cup of tea,” but it keeps me accountable (to go out and get the runs done!) and motivated. Who knows, you may inspire them to get out there and join you!



Cynthia: The Newlywed Duathlete

Cynthia is a women with a thirst for life and a new challenge. 2011 has been a big year for her as she was married to the love of her life in April, competed in her first duathlon in June and is training for her first marathon this fall. When she's not out running she loves to spend time with her hubby enjoying a glass of wine or taking her black Lab Penny for a walk in the park. Cynthia blogs about her active life over at Cynthia's Adventures.



When did you start running and what inspired you to start?


I started in 2008 in preparation for a 5K relay at work. I was always a sprinter so it was crazy hard to run 5k!!


What's one running pet peeve or drawback?


Rest days!! Your body needs it but its hard when it falls on the perfect running day!


What is your favorite distance to run?


For now, a 10K. Easy enough to try and push yourself a little!


What is one obstacle you overcame to become a stronger runner?


Doing more cross-training. I used to think run, run, run. Now I only run 3-4 times a week.


What's your favorite running memory?

Training for and finishing my 30K race in March 2011. It was such an amazing feeling to have completed it!!




Would you rather be able to run 5km really quickly or 50km at a slow and steady pace?



50Km at a slow and steady pace! Hey that's an ultra, wouldn't you be excited!? :)







You can catch much more of Cynthia and Katy on their blogs so be sure to check them out!!

Are you a runner (any experience level) and want to appear on Feature Friday? Send me an email at health.happiness.skinnyjeansATgmail.com and I will send you more information!!


Happy Friday everyone!


So tell me, do you run? If yes, what motivated you to start?

5 comments:

  1. Fun new feature! I love finding new running bloggers to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh I love this idea! Thanks for sharing some new runners!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love running but it sure can take a toll on your body, that is the only downfall. I can easily overtrain and something ends up in pain. That is one thing I am working on when it comes to running.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excited to see who turns up! Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for featuring me! I had a lot of fun answering the questions! Can't wait for the next batch of runners! :)

    ReplyDelete