7/6/11

If "You Are What You Eat?" then what does that make me??

After writing last night's post and reading the comments as they came in (thank you all for sharing your thoughts!) I couldn't help but think about how what we eat truly defines who we are. And not in a self-deprecating way at all but in the sense that what we fuel our bodies with can change the way we feel physically, mentally and emotionally. Food, something many of us take for granted, can cause or prevent disease, which ultimately allows it to somewhat dictate our life and how long we might live it. It's pretty crazy when you think about it huh?

That got me thinking that a part of this whole journey that I am on is to live my best life as my best self. Not perfect. Not flawless. Not up to someone else's standard. Just the best version of me that I can be. And because food is so influential in all facets of that life the things I consume should reflect my intentions.

If I were to be the food that I eat, who would I be?


That's a good start...


Definitely proud to be associated with that...


Yes, yes, yes!!


For damn sure!...



In this sense being called a monster is a very good thing!..

Okay so I definitely have some good food choices that can help positively portray who I am and where I want to go. My biggest issue then is consistency. I eat like this quite regularly but in between these really strong moments there are copious amounts of not-so-stellar treats like candy, soda, chips.I say it all the time and I will say it again, I believe in balance. But that does not mean that it's 50/50! I should not ingest one sour key for every spoonful of yogurt (not that I do that everyday  but you catch my drift)

So what does it all mean? Instead of a diet plan or food rules I want to begin to treat my food consumption as another choice that is meant to reflect how I want to be treated. By feeding myself wholesome, nutrient dense food I am respecting and loving myself. Its so simple and healthy and that's just the way I like it.

And hey, some days love and respect mean having the cake. Nothing says I love you better then the occasional slice of Oreo cheesecake anyway!



So I am what I eat huh? I guess I must have eaten a whole lot of "weirdness" growing up.....



So tell me if you are what you eat, what does that make you??

5 comments:

  1. Great post! I think you ate some CRAZY! ;) Nice food shots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If what I ate defined me, then I'd be Greek because I eat a ton of greek and Mediterranean food! Of course with some chocolate thrown in there:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't tell you how much I loved this post! Excellent opoints! I'm always promoting people to be their BEST self and not some version of someone else's "best." I feel SO much better when I fuel up with REAL foods, whether that includes real sugar or not. I've never felt healthier since I cut out all artificial junk! That is not deprivation to me! That is being my best self!

    ReplyDelete
  4. your salads look so great! I've been eating alot of salad, too hot and muggy to eat anything else ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must be a "nut butter" cause I can eat that stuff all day long (and sometimes I do!)

    ReplyDelete