7/24/11

Marathon Training Week Seven- But I Just Don't Wanna

Hey friends! How are you surviving through all this heat?? (assuming of course that it is hot where you are) Today was the first day in what feels like forever that I didn't absolutely melt when I hit the sidewalk. Humid weather, like the stuff we've been having here in the Toronto area, completely zaps me of energy so I am looking forward to some more seasonl temperatures in the next few weeks.

Here's a look at how my training went last week:

Monday: Strength training (1 hour 15 min)
Tuesday: 5km run, Spinning (30min)
Wednesday: Elliptical training (1 hour) Jillian Michaels workout DVD (45 min)
Thursday: Rest
Friday: 2km run, Elliptical (15min)
Saturday: Spinning (50min)
Sunday: Spinning/Strength (50min)

Total distance ran: 7km

Here's what I learned:

Sometimes I don't want to run. Like really don't want to run. Marathon training or not, I am simply not going to torture myself for 2 hours if I am actually dreading my long run. So this morning I opted out and I am okay with it. This is about my health and my happiness more than anything else.

Finding what sweaty form of activity you love is a crucial backup plan for "The thought of running makes me cringe" type days. This weekend it was some hardcore spinning. It was a great choice!




Marathon training is 5 months of your life and interests are bound to change. I am confident that I will be back in the running game next week but until then I am all about making my body and mind feel good. I mean really, the Olympic gold medal isn't at stake if I skip a run here and there right?

Sometimes you have to focus on the positives of summer (trips to the cottage, ice cream, thunderstorms) because when the thermometer creeps to 48C/118F there is a LOT to be sour faced about. (I am so not a super hot weather girl)



All crankiness about heat and lack of motivation to run aside, I really love to break a sweat (except when I am sitting on a bus in traffic and its 2 million degrees but I digress...) I went to spinning twice this weekend because I really wanted to get my exercise groove on. I love that!


Thoughts this week: I don't live and breathe running the way some people do and I am perfectly fine with that. When I love it I will do it and when I don't I will scale back. Like most things, the relationship has its ebbs and flows and I am prepared to go with it. The most important part to me is that I feel driven, passionate, motivated and accomplished. I will get there however I can, as long as I get there!


Hope you all had a great weekend and managed to stay cool!


So tell me, what is your favorite non-running way to get your exercise groove on? Do you ever love doing something one day and secretly kind of hate it the next?

10 comments:

  1. I love that you're honest about your relationship with running.. I love reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your attitude! I love playing tennis, but sometimes I get sick of it (flashbacks of tennis practice growing up!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with this post. Running is def a love/hate sorta thing. Stay Positive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a new follower. I am about to start training for my first half marathon. I love spinning too and think it's a great alternative for days when running just isn't gonna hit the spot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do spin twice/week and core training twice/week in addition to running..but we only run 4 days/week which is fine with me. I find doing the 4 runs make it less likely that I would skip a run which for me I just can't do if it can be helped.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad I found your blog - Nice to meet you! Love your attitude - I was never a runner either until my Canadian husband got me into it - now I love it! Since it's always HOT in Trinidad - we have to run early in the AM... Now our favorite non-running activity is SURFING! We just started and we love it! Here's a link of our last surf adventure on Saturday! http://thehinzadventures.blogspot.com/2011/07/life-lesson-and-lasagna.html
    xoxo from Trinidad!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can totally relate! Marathon training is tough! and it does test your relationship with running. In my opinion, as long as you keep moving - you're good! (Also for me,joining the running room showed me that almost every runner feels this way from time to time - so it's totally ok!) For me my non-running workouts inlcude bootcamps, or bodyjam (why not dance it all away eh?) I'm excited for you! Which race are you aiming for?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have the same attitude toward running. I will be running a half in October and my third full in January. Some days....I just don't wanna. I have a group that I run with, so that keeps me accountable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting and. It important information is really beneficial for us. Thanks

      Delete
  9. An intriguing discussion is worth comment. I do believe that
    you ought to publish more about this subject, it might not be a
    taboo subject but usually people don't discuss these subjects. To the next! Cheers!!
    http://prpc.ca/?topic=tuition-tutor-look-at
    http://hipsterspace.com/index.php?do=/blog/257853/biology-will-not-be-the-same-rear-with-online-tuition-singapore/

    my page ... football gloves

    ReplyDelete