8/1/11

Marathon Training Week Eight- Other Loves

Hi everyone! I'm back from a long, pretty much unplugged weekend away at the cottage and ready to get back to my daily routine. It's funny how much I miss the predictability of the every-day when my schedule gets interrupted huh?

Here's how training went last week:

Monday: 18km (on the treadmill...who am I??)
Tuesday: Zone 8 spin/strength circuit (1hour)
Wednesday: Rest
Thursday: Rest
Friday: Zone 8 spin/strength circuit (1 hour 15min)
Saturday: Spinning (50min)
Sunday: Rest

Total distance ran: 18km

Here's what I learned:

I like spinning. Alot. I mean I always knew I liked it, but if I were in the eighth grade I'd be at the stage where I am writing spinning on my notebook and drawing hearts around it. It's a bona fide workout crush I tell ya!

Right now the only thing I am loving more than spinning is spinning with strength intervals mixed in. Eight minutes on the bike, eight on the mat with a focus on all major muscle groups. Repeat for 1 hour or more. I swoon!



All this spinning and strengthening has taken my interest off running, at least for the time being. Sure I ran for 2 hours on the treadmill last week and felt pretty good the entire time but that was it for the week. And you know what? I'm going with it. Like I said last week, I am not going to torture myself. I am going to do what I love and what I feel motivated to do. And it's not like I am sitting around eating potato chips..I'm still sweating my ass off! (and then eating a few chips hehehe!)

When it comes to running these days I would actually rather run on the treadmill than outside. I'm not sure why exactly, but I am guessing that I like the lack of humidity and smog/air pollution plays a big part in it. And I know "they" (you know "them" right?) say you aren't supposed to train too much indoors but the way I see it is running inside is better than not running at all. As it stands, I'll take what I can get.



This might be my one and only marathon. I don't plan to give up running entirely but I am interested in exploring other things next year like biking, a sprint duathlon, a Warrior Dash (or similar adventure run), a return to kick boxing and possibly become certified to teach spin. Running is a great part of my overall physical activity, but I don't want it to be the be all, end all. Let's be honest, I am bored way to easily for that!

Thoughts this week: The marathon (and running in general) is so much more then a physical test. I am learning a lot about pushing my own limits, dedicating myself to a goal and persevering through tough times. I started this because I wanted to prove to myself that I can do something I never thought possible. I will finish it for that same reason. I won't win (not by a few hours!) but I will have accomplished so much more. That' moment is why I do it.


Hope you all had a great weekend!


So tell me, are you a creature of habit and routine? Do you like spontaneity and surprise or predictability?
Reactions:

7 comments:

  1. I get obsessive with exercise, and play favorites. It used to be spin, now it's running. I would like to find a healthy balance and mix it all up, but it's like loving the Backstreet Boys, you can only have one favorite at a time =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely need to mix it up otherwise I get bored! I try to do half of my exercise outside if I can, but in Chicago in the winter it proves pretty tough. Right now I'm into running and/or outdoor boot camp classes. I'm a creature of routine in every other area of myself except exercise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Weight training improves the performance of our muscles. Weight training covers abdominal exercise that work on muscular strength and muscular endurance. Weight training is not just for the body builders, it is important for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really enjoying running on the treadmill too. I did a mile and a half outside in the 90 degree temps today, and quickly realized why I'd chosen the treadmill. I've also gotten into spinning this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My workouts are pretty structured. I like to get in each body part, run 3 days, spin 2 days. I love spinning and want to get certified too!
    http://foodfaithfitness.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. sam, u r hardcore! 18k on a friggin treadmill? niiiiiice work!
    that is pretty good.

    i know what u mean about doing more fun races then another marathon. yes, i want to do another marathon sometime in my life...but adventure races are my future.
    we should ALL (GTA bloggers)do a mud run or soemthing together!

    have a great week!

    aneta

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can become a creature of habit pretty easily, as I did with running and unless something breaks down then I am forced to get out of my routine. For example my foot is now hurt, so I am forced to swim...and I am loving it!! So I think sometimes getting out of a routine really can be a good thing.

    ReplyDelete