When it comes to summer running I could probably just say "get used to" but acclimate just sounds better right? Anyway, either way that you slice it I need to get my mind, body and possibly soul accustomed to the fact that running for the next few months (and subsequently the majority of my marathon training) is going to mean hot temperatures, humidity and sweat. Lots and lots of sweat.
Good thing I happen to like a good dose of well earned perspiation. Humidity on the other hand is not so welcomed.
Here are a few things I have learned thus far (its not even summer yet and already I'm sharing tips...look at me go!)
1. Run with friends..especially friends wearing jeans. Just looking at them will make you feel much more ventilated by comparison (she was actually on her way home and ran into us..she's not that crazy)
2.Find shade, take breaks, keep cool. So simple you might even forget. Don't.
3. Run slower if you need to. Pushing yourself for speed might land you a speedy ride alright..straight to the hospital. Not fun so just don't, ok?
4. Carry water or find water sources and drink often. You are sweating buckets and you need to rehydrate.
5. Use water to keep your body temperature down if need be. A splash of refreshing cool water goes a long way on a hot, sunny day.
6. Don't jump in public water fountains. People (aka the police) tend to get all cranky about that sort of thing. You might want to, but you have got to resist that urge.
7. Embrace the flushed look. Red is the new tan right?
8. Run with friends and have fun. Just because its
And yes, wearing matching running outfits is a summer must. But you didn't need me to tell you that!
So tell me, what are your "beat the heat" tips for working out in the summer months?