1/15/11

Yoga Meltdown

I should start by saying I am no yogini. Don't get me wrong, I totally respect all things yoga (mind, body, soul) I just haven't incorporated into my routine. Until today.

I decided to dip my toe into the yoga pond with an at-home DVD. I wanted an inexpensive way to try total body conditioning and stretching. Enter Jillian Michaels' Yoga Meltdown, a 30 minute power yoga routine that is meant to challenge your physical fitness and sculpt your entire body. Oh boy!

Yoga DVD? Check!





















Yoga mat? Check!




Yoga cat? Check?





The DVD was pretty tough (it is Jillian Michaels after all) and not what I expected from yoga at all. Yes we did downward dog and sun salutations but it was really fast paced and I broke an obvious sweat.

I'll definitely do it again and work up to level 2 but if I am looking for a meditation I'm going to have to keep looking.

Overall, today's rest day was really low-key and great; yoga, reading The Happiness Project and a mid afternoon nap. I'm gearing up for a 10 mile run with Cynthia tomorrow so I have another relaxing night on deck.

I love rest days. So does the cat.























Namaste.

So tell me, do you practice yoga? Have you ever tried a yoga DVD?


Want more Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans? Follo me on Twitter @ HHandSJ

10 comments:

  1. I almost bought this DVD today at Target! I really need to do more yoga (or any yoga) - I'm SO stiff. I decided to see if this was on Exercise on Demand instead. I thought it would be tough - but did you get some good stretching in at all? I guess focuses on body strength would be a bonus too!

    Have fun on your run tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've tried yoga a few times....I need to try again. I couldn't get into it. All of Jillian's videos are tough, so I imagine this one is too! It sounds interesting to me...I think I might like the faster pace of it!

    AND...I love your cat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cat looks like the perfect yoga cat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your fur-baby does look a lot like my Cooper!!

    Jillian is my idol! Good luck with her workouts--I'm anxious to follow your updates!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everybody needs a yoga cat!

    I've only taken a few gentle yoga courses that are very very relaxing. I almost fell asleep once. I've never tried difficult yoga, so this looks like a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great post! It's pretty coincidental you decided to blog about Yoga since yesterday I took my first Yoga class at the gym. It wasn't the hardest class but it definitely was long (75mins!)... My back is thanking me for going to that class yesterday it feels much more stretched out than usual!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do all my yoga from either DVD's or ExerciseTV. Funny you should mention Miss Jillian's Yoga Meltdown, that is the workout I did this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everyone has been talking about this DVD, I need to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am a very anti-yoga person. Sorry just not for me. I am doing Jillians 6 weeks 6 Pack and LOVING it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love yoga, especially hot power yoga. I don't practice nearly enough because the studio's are pretty pricey, but I have been going to more yoga classes at my gym and my body is very grateful.

    ReplyDelete