1/18/11

6 Weeks to 6 Pack: Week One

Ok folks, here's your first official update after seven days and four 6W26P workouts later:






















Don't I wish!

Alright, enough kidding around, here are the real results:






















Changes? Ummm.... perhaps, but let's put it into context. Since starting this challenge last week I have:

  • Completed level one 2x
  • Completed level two 2x
  • Ran 17 miles
  • Completed Yoga Meltdown 2x
  • Done spinning for 40 minutes
  • Eaten healthy food 80% of the time

The reason that I mention this is that I think parts of the fitness industry like us to believe its easy to get 6 pack abs/slimmer thighs/a firmer butt and that one DVD or piece of equipment is all you need to get the body you have always wanted. What I feel that these claims fail to acknowledge is that you need to work and work HARD! You need to push your limits, sweat your ass off and feel uncomfortable, to say the least. And, in addition to all that, you need to eat wholesome and healthy food. No matter how motivating Jillian is during this 30 minute butt-kick  the reality is that you aren't going to get flat abs if you eat half a dozen cheeseburgers every day.

Alright, I'll get off my soap box now (I think I am starting to sound a little like Ms. Michaels don't you??) although I could definitely go on about this. Instead I will once again welcome you to join me in the challenge. Hell, invite your friends too. Better yet, tell them its a 6 Pack Challenge and don't bother to tell them it has nothing to do with beer until they've already committed!!



So tell me, how do you feel about "Get Slim Quick" claims? Let's have a discussion...


Update: Cynthia just joined the challenge. Will you?

Want more Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans? Follow me on Twitter @HHandSJ

15 comments:

  1. I feel there are two types of people with flat abs or 6 packs: those with incredible genes and those who have to work REALLY REALLY hard for it. I think it's safe to say that most of us fit in the latter description, myself included. I always feel a twinge of envy when I someone who doesn't have to work for it down a cheeseburger, but then again, they are not eating healthy and not working out. I am and flat abs or not, I know I'm healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been doing JM's 6 week 6 pack, too! but I'm not really "following" it. I'm just doing it to supplement my running. I'm loving it so far though! And my hubs loves it too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally see some changes there. Well done!

    And on the get fit quick thing - I'm with you. There is no such thing. In someways that's what bothers me about shows like "The Biggest Loser." That's an artificial environment where people do nothing but workout all day long. That's not realistic for the average person out there. Unfortunately, it's made everyone believe that they can expect similar results.

    On the 6 weeks to 6 pack challenge. For most people it's not going to happen - even if they do the workouts. Take someone like me, for all the world knows I have a 6 pack right now . . . but if I do, it's likely hiding under . . . stuff! ;)

    Point is nothing is easy. But hard work DOES pay off!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What are you doing to get your '6 pack?' That is an area that I would like to work on as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look great!! And should be super proud of your weekly fitness accomplishments!!

    I think there is some claim to get slim quick...if that is the jump start people need to get on board, then I'm all for it. (I get more motivated when I see a lower number on the scale which makes me want to do more) But, maintanence involves realistic plans, so you have to have the next step in mind, don't you?

    Again, great job!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also started 6 week 6 pack last friday and I am really enjoying it. I will post a week 1 pic soon.
    You're doing great, keep it up

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't buy the "get slim quick" claims. I tried a lot of things before I found something that really worked - healthy food and exercise - and nothing happened overnight.

    I need to get Jillian DVD. They are popping up everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Even if you don't have a six pack in 6 weeks, it gets you moving and builds muscle. So, that's a good thing!
    But you are SO right. You really need to add so many other factors like eating well to making goals like that. But if they told you that, they definitely wouldn't sell as many copies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If only it were that easy, right? You look great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well said!!! I agree 100%. I am actually behind because I missed yesterday but it is my goal to get it in tonight after work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think that people want to believe that it's going to be easy to get a 6 pack, or a perfect butt, but it's really not. I was talking to a coworker the other day and she was telling me about how she's doing a 14 day cleanse, and that she's guaranteed to lose weight, and then she bought a pizza for dinner.
    It really doesn't work that way. I wish people would recognize that you don't need to throw hundreds of dollars away to get healthy, you can do it with some common sense.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I definitely do not believe in get slim quick ideas. I know what works for me...working out/eating healthy but the extremes I used to take didn't get me anywhere except to more cravings and bad feelings about myself. I have a better stomach now than I did when I was beating myself up every day and I take MORE days off than I ever did so long ago...go figure!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think the older you are the harder it becomes to get in shape in a short time frame. I remember back in college, I never worked out and drank and ate bad and one summer I dedicated myself to get back into shape. It took my body three weeks to get there...THREE WEEKS! Now, I have been trying to get there and its been 8 months and I am still trying. There have been some cheats but for the most part I have done pretty well and I am almost there...but not there yet to show a pic of my belly. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't buy into the get slim and fit quick ideas...you have to make changes to other things in life besides just completing a work out video! Many other changes in life have to be made also!

    You've had some great workouts this week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your report prοvides confiгmed helpful to me personally.
    It’s really useful and you're simply clearly extremely knowledgeable in this region. You have got opened my eye to different views on this particular subject matter together with intriguing and strong content material.

    Review my site; buy levitra
    Feel free to surf my webpage :: buy levitra

    ReplyDelete