7/20/10

Immune system booster

Its been and will continue to be a busy week for me. My good friend is getting married on Friday, work is hectic as always and I am trying to stay on top of my training plan. So, as I am sure you can imagine, I was quite disturbed by the all too ominous achy pre-flu feeling that came over me this past weekend. No one wants to get sick but this week I just can't! Too much to do and not enough time as it is..there is no room for a bed-ridden Sam.


So I decided to dedicate my eating this week to staying healthy and flu free. I've tried to load up on as much wholesome food as I can hoping all the vitamins and goodness would chase away whatever ailment was creeping up on me.


Today's food in photos:



Not so green, Green Monster smoothie with strawberries and blueberries


Multigrain oatmeal with blueberries, almonds and chia seeds


A banana


Quinoa & chickpea salad with balsamic vinagrette


A "Long Run Power ball" from a co-worker (yum!!)



A Kashi granola bar



Fresh bread with eggplant spread and pickled artichokes



Grilled tofu, tabbouleh salad and a grilled vegetable wrap with goat cheese




I'm stuffed but oh, so happy!


So tell me, what do you do to combat a cold or flu? Echinacea? Vitamin C? More sleep? Share please, I'm willing to try anything!

9 comments:

  1. I drink lots of hot tea - pretty much any kind, but green I hear is the best. Even if it may be a placebo effect, it always just instantly makes me feel better. Of course lots of sleep is best, I'd aim for maybe 45-60 minutes more to see if that helps.
    Hope you can fight it off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the best looking Green Monster I've ever seen! And I've seen a lot. And what's in the little power ball? Looks tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Green tea, echinacea, Vitamin C, lots of sleep, lots of water are always staples in this house when we are sick! I hope you feel better and beat whatever it is that is making you feel not so great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of liquids definitely is my first move. Rest too, I forgo workouts if necessary. Especially if I am really feeling sick, I will skip the gym and rest. Other then that sometimes these thing just have to run their course :/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Usually more sleep helps for me, and oranges (for vitamin C). I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no!! Sorry to hear you're feeling sick. Tea and Zinc are my go-tos. Whenever I feel like I'm coming down with something, I pop zinc lozenges like they're candy. haha Ok...that's probably a tiny exaggeration, but I swear they help!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Feel better! Good eats for combating sickness. I always drink lots of tea and tuck myself in bed if I'm feeling sick. If the situation is serious, I call my grandmother for soup. She delivers :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That chickpea salad looks wonderful! I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I get as much rest as possible, hot baths, hot showers, lots of tea or hot water/lemon. I hope you feel better soon!

    I love the banana pic! :)

    ReplyDelete