Prior to registering I put together a training plan that more or less was intended to map out my long runs and determine the feasibility of working up to at least two 20 mile training runs. According to the plan, which is dependent on a fitness base that allows me to start at around 8 miles, its possible. Then again the plan doesn't have to actually run all those miles in the rain/heat/gross humidity so really, what does it know right?
Just kidding...well sort of.
Here's a basic outline of my plan otherwise known as Marathon Training for Dummies Who Think that They Can Run Marathons When Really They'd Rather Be Sleeping (in bookstores soon!):
- Minimum 3x per week
- One long run eventually building up to 20 miles maximum, per week
- One fartlek run of 4-5 miles per week
- One hills/speed training session weekly
- Two 20 mile training runs total
- Minimum 2x per week
- Includes body weight training, spinning, yoga, weights, biking
- Wholesome foods like whole grains, fruits & vegetables, lean poultry, legumes, dairy
- Less (much less) refined sugar
- 2L of water per day
- Less processed foods
- Minimum 1 rest day per week (up to 2 later in training)
- Regular foam rolling and stretching
- Minimum 3 sports massage appointments
- Minimum 7 hours sleep per night
- Stress reduction through calming activities: yoga, bubble bath, reading, walking
- New shoes within the next two weeks
I have decided to start marathon training earlier then originally anticipated meaning that I officially start on Sunday June 5th. I will be posting weekly updates so stay tuned for the good, the bad and the ugly (which I hope is not lost toenails) of my first attempt at training for a marathon.
Wish me luck!!
So tell me, have you ever trained for a full or half marathon? What parts of training did you love the most? What did you hate? Would you do it again?
Attention Toronto Bloggers/Health Enthusiasts:
Details for the June 12th meetup have been sent out via email. If you are not on my mailing list yet, send me an email and let me know you are interested! (health.happiness.skinnyjeans(at)gmail(dot)com)