Yeah, you know what, I am. For now anyway.
I am ready to return to the lifestyle I have come to know and love because it works for me. Its not perfect but its a work in progress and one that I am committed to every day. And I'm proud of that.
That being said, this challenge taught me a lot of valuable lessons:
- Veganism is not a diet, its a lifestyle. Being vegan isn't just what to eat and what not to eat, its a way of life. The commitment is huge because let's be honest, all things considered, its a hell of a lot easier not to be a vegan. And I find a deep respect for those who have made this choice because their moral and ethical fabric has lead them here.
- Read food labels. Vegan or not, take the time and get to know what's in your food. Better yet, make more of it yourself so you can actually control what goes into it (and what doesn't)
- Keep trying new things. You may not like them (*couch* soy yogurt *cough*) but then again, maybe you will. And how will you know unless you try?
- Be a responsible consumer. Even if you eat meat you can make responsible choices about where it comes from (treatment of animals, hormones etc)
- Walk a mile in their shoes. Even if something isn't for you, an informed decision is always better than an assumed one.
So a few questions remain:
What is the first non-vegan meal I plan to eat once the challenge is over?
I'll admit, the challenge is actually over for me when I publish this. The meal is pizza which will be delivered not long after. If that's wrong then baby I don't want to be right!
Will I ever eat vegan again?
Sure. I eat a lot of meat free meals and I'm sure many of them can be made vegan quite easily. And I will definitely be making Chana Masala so I guess its a guarantee.
Would I recommend this challenge to others?
Of course! I would love for my meat eating friends and family to try it out, if for no other reason then to prove to themselves that vegetarian/vegan doesn't mean gross (why do so many people assume that??). I managed to get The Boyfriend to eat an entire vegan meal this week and my meat eating BFF is joining me for a vegetarian meal this Tuesday so I think I am already well on my way to getting my wish!
All in all, I am grateful for this experience and all the things that I can happily take away from it. If you took part I hope you enjoyed it. If you are a vegan everyday kudos to you! And if neither are applicable to you thanks for following along anyway. As always, you guys kick butt!!
But now my friends, it's time for me to fill my belly with the ooey-gooey cheese I've been craving!
I can't promise its going to be pretty but I know it's gonna be good!!
So tell me, what have you learned about you lately? And while we aren't on the topic, how freakin' cute is a super fat cat anyway??