4/27/11

Finding My Healthy, Happy Weight

Based on the comments from yesterday's post it seems that tracking food, calories and exercise is much more common than I realized!

It's great to see so many of you taking advantage of the free online applications that allow you to better manage your healthy and balanced lifestyle. And for those of you who aren't able to use tracking due to a previous ED, I am proud that you acknowledge your triggers and avoid them for the sake of your health and well being. Good job everyone!!

As I was writing yesterday's post I asked myself why I was hesitant to discuss weight loss and weight management on my blog. After all its MY blog right? I guess the truth is I didn't want to be judged as vain. I also didn't want to offend anyone. I want this to be a positive space but I also want it to be candid and real and so with that I will say this:

I am currently working towards a weight loss goal of 15lbs.

Yes, I recently posted bikini photos in an effort to demonstrate my self-confidence but I will argue that wanting to lose weight and being confident are not mutually exclusive. I am not ashamed of what I look like today in any way. That being said, I know that I am 15lbs heavier then I was last year when I was taking better care of my self from a nutritional perspective.



Happy weight..curves included!


Thus, I know that my happy weight is my current weight less 15 lbs. Its a happy weight because I can maintain it through regular exercise and a wholesome diet but without deprivation or drastic restrictions.

Its also my happy weight because I am comfortable in my own skin but I maintain the feminine curves that I (and the Boyfriend) adore so much!

It took my some time to accept that my happy weight isn't a size 2. I struggled with the idea that I might never be as thin as some of the other women I know. But now I recognize that I am not a size 2 because I have full breasts and muscular quads and a booty that might give Beyonce a run for her money and those are things that I am 100% content with.

Me at my happy weight will never fit into a size 2 and I am fine with that. I'm just not that woman and thank goodness because how boring would we be if we were all cookie cutters of Natalie Portman anyway??

I'm happy with who I am but I can also admit I am a work in progress. My goal is to be the healthiest and happiest that I can be and that's a lifetime quest!





So tell me, do you have a "happy" weight? How do you define it?

12 comments:

  1. I really do sympathize. I gained weight over winter break and have been struggling with rectifying wanting to lose weight and being healthy. But I know that my goals, like yours, are healthy. I want to be strong, active and full of energy--and if I'm not at your healthy, happy weight, I really can't be these things.

    Good luck with your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love love love this post. My happy weight is when I'm - well - happy! I've done so many stupid things dieting that I'm realizing that eating a diet that's healthy (with no deprivation - becuase that makes me go nuts) and exercising (doing something you love) is the trick. When I'm strong and happy and treating my body with respect - I'm at my happy weight (I'm only a few pounds off these days too!)
    Also I fell in love with the "eat clean" cookbook. No deprivation - just good choices!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your honesty here. I have days where I look at myself and think "I look good... but I'm just not there yet". I'd LOVE to lose another 15 pounds, but I feel like I eat pretty healthy and exercise a good amount. Last summer I weighed the same as I do now, but I was more toned and things fit me better. That's really how I judge how I feel. I like to see and feel my muscles :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My happy weight is around where I am right now. I've been skinnier, I've been a size 2, and you know what? IT'S GROSS on my frame. I'd love to be a little more toned -- even if that means gaining a few pound of muscle. I'd be good with that! I think weight and food are always issues that I'll deal with - but being healthy is now my priority. Good luck with your goals!! I know you can get to your happy weight :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes! Love it! Losing weight and confidence are not mutually exclusive - I agree with this so much!

    Thank you for always keeping it real!

    I know when I'm in my happy weight when I just feel good, not only physically, but mentally. I have more energy, am more outgoing, and my workouts improve. I'm still working on getting there as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i feel the same way about my curves. when i was younger, the only thing i wanted to do was be skinny. i wanted to get rid of my hips and my butt and all my other curves. as i started getting more healthy i totally embraced my curves. i realized its better to be beyonce and not a size 2 then be unhappy! BOOTY POWER!!!! :)

    great post. good luck with your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post! I definitely have a happy weight. It's not so much a number, but a way that I feel. When I get to my happy weight I feel much more confident and healthy because I know I'm treating my body correctly.
    Good luck with your goals. I don't think you seem vain at all. I think these are important conversations to have.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a great post! I especially like that you point out that wanting to shed a few pounds and being confident/accepting your body are not mutually exclusive! Such a great mind-frame!
    I do have a happy weight as well - and when I'm at my happy weight I'm a size 12/14 - I'll NEVER be smaller than that, and have no desire to be smaller than that. I'm 6'0 so my happy weight/size will always be a few notches higher than most women - but I know that I feel good at that size and I can maintain it. Anything less would mean I'd just be "skinny" and have to give up the muscle definition and curves that I (and my husband) like. I'd rather be STRONG and PROUD rather than skinny.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how you admit your weight gain, but that you also feel body confident! REcently I gained a few and my husband just can't seem to understand why I care. I told him, I haven't been eating the way I normally do, I've been eating husband sized dinners and that is leading to my weight gain! I told him that I want to stop the gain NOW so that it doesn't continue to go up. I'm still feeling good about myself, but I'm still currently trying to lose just 3 pounds but those 3 lbs gained could easily lead to 6 or 12, if I'm not proactive. It's all about being conscious of how you feel. I've accepted I'm not a size two, but I don't want to become a size 22 either. MAke sense? goodlukc with your goals!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how you definie "healthy weight":
    a happy weight because I can maintain it through regular exercise and a wholesome diet but without deprivation or drastic restrictions.

    That is the perfect descriptions for how I feel about it, & I also have about 15 pounds to go. I'm happy & feeling good now, but know that I'm not at my healthiest weight.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been heavier than my happy weight (currently, but with child ;)), and less than my happy weight. Happy weight is when I'm living a healthy balance that includes great nutrition, exercise and mojitos :) I once weighed 8 pounds less than my happy weight, and although I liked the look of it, it wasn't worth what it took to maintain it. Living life is more important to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You do whatever makes u happy. Man it pisses me off when people judge other people about weight loss. Its like people only see what they want to see. You keep going and become a healthier happy you.

    ReplyDelete