9/25/10

The Expo and some pre-race thoughts..

Well my friends, the big day is almost here. I've been training for and thinking about this day since the spring and I can't believe that as I write this I am 14 hours away from the start of my very first 1/2 marathon. Oh. Em. Gee!!!

In order to pick up our race kits and as a way to take in the excitement of this event my running pal Cynthia and I headed to the race expo this morning.




The Expo proved to be a great place to take in some pre-race excitement. Runners with all different backgrounds and experience gathered to browse the merchandise and products and talk running. Being with such a large group of people who are all going to gather tomorrow morning for the same purpose was really motivating!




Cynthia was also able to get her knee taped up (and will be able to avoid wearing her brace yay!)



We also got lots of free stuff (score!!) And you can never go wrong with free stuff right?


I must admit I am a little nervous for tomorrow. With anything new, the unknown is both scary and exciting and I am trying to stay as positive as possible.Visualising a strong run and the accomplishment that I will feel when I finish has helped me through training and will hopefully help me while I am out on the course.


At this point in the game many people might talk strategy and goals but I'd rather focus on how far I've come. A year ago I wasn't a runner and the idea of a 10K was overwhelming and now I'm complete about to complete a race that I never even dreamed of 12 months ago. So really, no matter what happens tomorrow I will know that I have already achieved so much. The medal that I will wear proudly at around 9:45 tomorrow morning will only serve as a reminder that I am stronger and more capable then I ever thought possible.

I hope no one thinks its weird if I wear it to the office for a few days ;)


So tell me, what have you done lately that exceeded even your own expectations?


12 comments:

  1. Good luck tomorrow! You're going to have an amazing personal experience and that is really all that matters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU SAID:
    "I hope no one thinks its weird if I wear it to the office for a few days ;)"

    Go for it, you'll have earned it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ill be there too! maybe ill see u!!!
    have a good sleep and try to relax. it will be fun! yay!!

    GOOD LUCK!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Luck Tomorrow! I know you'll rock it out :-) I'm so excited and happy for you. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck! You have a great attitude going into this race! I can't wait to read your recap.

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks like you got some pretty great swag. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the expo part of the race - so fun!

    Good luck tomorrow, you're going to rock it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck! Have a great race.
    I'm running my first half marathon 13 days, and I'm nervous and excited at the same time. I never thought I could do it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope you enjoy every moment. Long distance running is truly character building and can be life affirming. I just posted a very similar question on my blog so I would have to say that I can't believe that my new comfort long mileage mark is 15 up from 10. Can't wait to read how your race went.

    ReplyDelete
  10. By the time you read this comment, your race will be over. I hope you are wearing that medal, along with a huge grin! Running a long distance race is truly extraordinary. I cried after my first (and only) 1/2 in May. Now I am three weeks away from 26.2 miles.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can't wait to hear how you did!

    Several of my friends were running the marathon component of the Scotia race, and I'm running my first half marathon in 3 weeks (Goodlife) so I'm a little obsessed with reading other people's experiences. Hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope the race went well! Can't wait to read the recap!

    ReplyDelete