8/21/10

Black beans for everyone!!

Last night as I was making my way through my local grocery store I had a bit of a Eureka! moment as I stood in front of the freezer in the organic and specialty food section. I was about to pick up a box of black bean veggie burgers ($5.49 for 4) when it dawned on me: I can make these at home! Better yet I can probably make twice a many for that price.

So the challenge as it were, was on. I quickly picked up the few ingredients that I might need, taking mental inventory of the items that were already at home in my fridge. This was going to be fun!

Admittedly my first attempt at the burgers went a little awry ( I thought I could pulse the beans in the blender rather then mash them and ended up with puree...doi!) but in the spirit of waste not, want not I used these to make my own rendition of black bean dip which was on my long list of things to try anyway.


The next attempt at the burgers went much more smoothly and in no time I was ready to cook these babies up!


Burger balls just waiting to get turned into patties




I added some of the black bean dip for extra flavor





Black Beans Burgers

750ml black beans (drained)
1/3 cup diced red onion
1/4 cup finely chopped carrot
1/2 green pepper, finely diced
1 egg
3-4 tbsp bbq sauce
2 tbsp cajun spice
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
3/4 cup bread crumbs

  • Mash beans in a bowl, ensuring that you don't overmash. Pieces of beans are good for consistency
  • Add egg, vegetables and spices and stir with a large spoon or spatula
  • Add bread crumbs 1/4 of a cup at a time. The mixture should be thick enough to form patties.
  • Adjust bread crumbs as required (you may need less to avoid drying out the burgers or more to ensure that the mixture is thick)
  • Form patties using the mixture
  • Cook over medium heat in a frying pan for approximately 5 minutes on each side (patties will crisp and brown)
  • Serve on a bun or in a wrap with your favorite toppings
Makes 10-12 medium sized patties.


The verdict: Delicious!! And I validated this by feeding one to the Boyfriend,who isn't exactly the biggest fan of vegetarian fare, and he really enjoyed it. In fact he said "Oh man, I am eating a burger made of beans and I actually like it" Score!


And just to add icing to the cake I did the math and realized that I made 12 burgers for less then the price of four at the supermarket. How sweet is that?!?


So tell me, what premade foods would you rather make at home?


Don't forget to enter my giveaway!



15 comments:

  1. Black bean burgers are my favorite meatless burger option. There are so many variations. I can't wait to try your recipe. I love anything with BBQ sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look great! I always say I want to try and make different types of burgers, but never do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yum! These look delicious, thank you for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM! THese look great. I might have to try these out tomorrow night for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like to make my own sweet potato fries. I know it takes more effort, but I'd rather save the money. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Once I realized I could easily make my own bean burgers I stopped buying the store bought variety and haven't looked back. It's SO much more cost-effective, and at this point I prefer my own. Black bean burgers are definitely my favorite. I'll have to try adding BBQ sauce like you did. Sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made black bean burgers earlier this week but your recipe looks so much more flavorful than my came out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hahaha I love "Ah HA!" Moments...mine often happen while wandering through the grocery store! I love the spice additions you have going on here! I made something similar to this a while back with sweet potato black beans and chili powder...delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE the name of this post. It made me laugh. I also have those thoughts when I'm about to purchase prepackaged foods.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love to make homemade soups, because the ones out of a box or can never taste very good, and I find soup one of the easier meals to make.

    Veggie burgers are great to make too, but when I'm pressed for time, I'll just marinade and saute a portabella mushroom instead.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't attempted to try making my own burgers but you definitely convinced me to start! I also want to try making my own hummus.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks like a great recipe! I like that you used BBQ sauce in it.

    I like to make my own soups. I can't stand canned ones!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those look great! I am going to have to try them! I think I will use leeks instead of onions. Do you think you could add grated zucchini to the mix? Hmmm.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a black bean burger recipe I can hang with, I've never tried them but have been wanting to! I'm going to give these a go in the near future, you make it look so simple & delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. If you were really bright (which I know you are ;-)) you would flatten them into patties, freeze them, and then wrap them in saran or foil and keep them in a freezer bag in the freezer for quick and easy meals in a pinch!! I would add chili powder, cumin, and corn cut off the cob (or frozen thawed would work too) for a fun southwester pattie!

    ReplyDelete