8/19/11

Feature Friday- Runners part 5

Today is a very exciting day for me. Not only is it Feature Friday (!!) but I am off work because I am getting ready to attend a wedding this afternoon. Another long weekend? Don't mind if I do!

This week I have please to showcase another hometown (Toronto) girl, so let's get to it!!


Laura - Scribbles and Sass


Laura is the ultimate firecracker. When she isn't busy being an ever-so-charming-sassy-pants she enjoys yoga, zumba, running, and any other type of fun fitness she can shake her booty to. Her fitness routine got a big wrench thrown in it last year when she suffered an ankle injury and forgot how to walk for a bit. Fun and games aside, she really loves fun and games. Check out her shenanigans at www.scribblesandsass.com or on Twitter @LaurBridge
 
 
 
When did you start running and what inspired you to start?


I started running in University while part of the cheerleading team. Before each practice we would take a spin around the track - I was looking at the basketball players - or through the stadium - I was looking at the football players - To keep my cardio up I ran on off days in between weight workouts.



What is one obstacle you overcame to become a stronger runner?


I'm still trying to overcome this one. About 15 months ago I shattered my ankle, just tore the thing to shreds. It was really disheartening because I was in pretty good shape, and was on track with my fitness. Because an ankle is such a vital joint to running it has been a hard and slow and long recovery to get me back onto the road.


What's your favorite running memory?


This is going to make me sound like an absolute Looney Tune, just stick with me. I run with my Nike+ kicks and sensor that hooks up to my iPod. It tracks how far and how fast I run and keeps it in nifty little charts. I was booking it one day and ran 6km in just over 30mins. I was so jacked up. I had never run that fast (and never have again) I got off the treadmill and was heading toward the water fountain when through my earbuds I heard: "Hi, I'm Tiger Woods - congratulations on running your fastest mile." I had no idea that this program did this...I may have lost it in the gym.



Are you training for any races at the moment?


Just training to run, not training to race.



What's your favorite way to refuel post-run


I'm going to be a brand-whore here - but I'm loving the Gen UCAN Chocolate protein shake. It's great for recovery, is easy on the tummy and it's chocolate.




What's one tip you would give to a new runner or someone coming back after a break?


I'm going to stick with what I know and give advice on coming back from an injury. Take your time and make sure you are healed, youngin', it will probably be longer than you want it to be. After you get doctor's clearance, start with short distances, but push yourself and continue to be awesome!
 
 
 
How amazing is she huh?? I can't believe she lives so close and yet we've never met IRL....yet. I definitely need to hook up for a run or a drink or pretty much anything with this awesome lady!!
 
 
 
If you want to be featured in the Runner Series all you have to do is email health.happiness.skinnyjeansATgmail.com. And remember, this is about runners on all levels so whether you are brand new and working on your first C25K or you've completed an Ironman, we want to hear from you!!!



Happy Friday everyone!!!!


Countdown to my 30km race- 1 more day!



Have you ever had a major injury disrupt to your life for a while? What do you think about Friday weddings- love 'em or hate 'em? (I love 'em..extra day off ..wahoo!)

6 comments:

  1. LOVED THIS, what a great idea!! SHATTERED ANKLE....ouch!! So right about coming back SLOWLY, I am still trying to learn this one:) Yep, stupid stress fractures:( I LOVE FRIDAY WEDDINGS!! Have an amazing day gorgeous girl and ONE MORE DAY AHHHHH!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Injuries are so frustrating!! Thanks for sharing your story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for your lovely comments, ladies! I was fantastically surprised to be a solo feature today.

    Thanks so much, Sam! So happy to be part of HHSJ.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so sorry about the shattered ankle :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVED your experience with your Nike+ and Tiger Wood's voice. I used to run with a Nike+ device as well. One day, after a long run, I heard the voice of Lance Armstrong in my ears congratulating me. Freaked. Me. Out. Then I thought, "oh, cool." By the way, I live in Austin and run on the same trail where Lance sometimes runs and so for a split second I looked around, then I realized it was from my Nike+.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Tiger Woods thing happened to me too! I was totally freaked out at first, but then came to LOVE hearing his voice. Creeper or not :) Love ya Laura! Great post!

    ReplyDelete